Up to $55 Million in Funding for Alberta Businesses to Improve Efficiency & Reduce Emissions
New projects to drive economic activity, create jobs, and enable business growth.
About the Program
Emissions Reduction Alberta’s new Energy Savings for Business Program—a funding opportunity to support small- and medium-scale industrial and commercial businesses—is awarding up to $55 million for cost-saving and emissions reducing projects. The program will help Alberta businesses reduce emissions, decrease operating costs, grow their operations and become more competitive, while creating skilled jobs and boosting economic recovery.
The focus of the Energy Savings for Business Program is to increase the adoption of targeted commercially available energy-efficient technologies for small and medium-scale businesses. The program is open to all industries and business types across Alberta except for Large Emitters as defined under the TIER Regulation, new construction, federal and provincially-owned buildings, and the institutional sector (municipalities, universities, schools and hospitals).
What types of projects will be eligible?
Examples of the types of projects that qualify for investment include (but are not limited to):
- Insulation, building envelope, air sealing
- HVAC projects can include the installation of efficient boilers, hot water tanks, furnaces, pipe insulation
- Upgrades to fan and pump motors, including the installation of variable frequency drive units
- Installation of electronic building automation systems to control temperature, airflow, and even lighting across the facility
- Lighting projects can include replacement of outdated lighting systems, addition of automation, etc.
- Installation of alternate on-site power sources such as solar photovoltaic and combined heat and power systems
- May also include measures specific to industry/facility needs (e.g. restaurant, manufacturing)
The program will open to pre-approvals in January 2021. Funding will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Complete program details, including terms and conditions and a list of eligible technologies, will be available at that time.
The program is planned to accept new project applications for 6 to 12 months. Projects must occur at facilities located within Alberta. Approved projects must also meet the project timelines eligibility criteria, to be outlined in the program’s terms and conditions.
Emissions Reduction Alberta: Energy Savings for Business Program Info Sessions
Emissions Reduction Alberta will be hosting webinars for contractors and service providers interested in the Energy Savings for Business Program. The webinars are occurring before the official program launch to help contractors prepare to participate in the program.
The webinar dates are:
- January 26 at 1:30 PM
- January 27 at 8:30 AM
Following a 30-minute presentation, there will be a live Q&A period.
The webinars will focus on the following:
- Registering as an eligible contractor
- Contractor requirements and code of conduct
- Support and materials provided to contractors once you are registered
- Who is eligible to participate in the program
- The measures eligible for incentives
- An overview of the application process
The webinar will be recorded and posted on the contractor webpage shortly after for anyone who is unable to attend the sessions. Please use the link below to register: