Alberta Commercial Financial Incentives for Insulation
ERA's Energy Savings for Business Program
The focus of the Energy Savings for Business Program is to increase the adoption of targeted commercially available energy-efficient technologies for small- and medium-scale businesses. The program is open to all industries and business types across Alberta except for Large Emitters as defined under the TIER Regulation, new construction, federal and provincially-owned buildings, and the institutional sector (municipalities, universities, schools and hospitals).
Up to $250,000 is available per project to a maximum of $500,000 per company. Typical technologies include targeted commercially available energy-efficient upgrades such as heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) technologies, building automation, hot water systems, indoor/outdoor commercial and industrial lighting systems and controls, and onsite electricity generation.
Businesses from across Alberta will be eligible to access funding to cover a portion of their project costs for cost-saving and emissions reducing projects when the program launches in January 2021. These projects, using local skilled trades and suppliers, will re-invigorate the economy, helping businesses become more competitive, hire more staff, and grow their operations.
The program will open to pre-approvals in January 2021. Funding will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Complete program details, including terms and conditions and a list of eligible technologies, will be available at that time.
The program is planned to accept new project applications for 6 to 12 months. Projects must occur at facilities located within Alberta. Approved projects must also meet the project timelines eligibility criteria, to be outlined in the program’s terms and conditions.
What types of projects will be eligible?
Examples of the types of projects that qualify for investment include (but are not limited to):
- HVAC projects can include the installation of efficient boilers, hot water tanks, furnaces, pipe insulation
- Upgrades to fan and pump motors, including the installation of variable frequency drive units
- Installation of electronic building automation systems to control temperature, airflow, and even lighting across the facility
- Lighting projects can include replacement of outdated lighting systems, addition of automation, etc.
- Installation of alternate on-site power sources such as solar photovoltaic and combined heat and power systems
- May also include measures specific to industry/facility needs (e.g., restaurant, manufacturing)
- Insulation/building envelope/air sealing.
Building Energy Use Reduction - Energy Audit Rebate
Businesses can take advantage of rebates and incentives offered by the Town to Banff to improve the environmental efficiency of commercial properties.
The City of Banff is offering pre-project energy audits at 1/3 of the cost.