Ontario Residential Financial Incentives for Insulation
*NEW* Enbridge HER+ Program
Enbridge Gas and the Canada’s Greener Homes Grant have partnered to provide rebates towards eligible retrofits such as home insulation, windows and doors, heat pumps and renewable energy systems. The new, co-ordinated Home Efficiency Rebate Plus program will help more Ontarians save energy at home. This is great news for residents across the province, including current Enbridge Gas customers who use natural gas to heat their homes and will benefit from enhanced rebates up to $10,000. Participants can also offset the cost of their EnerGuide home evaluation with an additional rebate of $600.
Before you start any renovation work, you must complete a home energy assessment with a Registered Energy Advisor. Answer a few short questions to find a Registered Energy Advisor in your area. See how this program works.
Already enrolled in Home Efficiency Rebate or the Canada’s Greener Homes Grant? Here’s what to do next.
Save with rebates for these high-impact upgrades:
- Home energy assessments – Up to $600
- Home insulation – Up to $10,000
- Air sealing – Up to $1,300
- Windows and doors – Up to $325 for each
- Space and water heating – Up to $7,800
- Smart thermostats – Up to $125
- Solar panels – Up to $5,000
- Weatherproofing – Up to $1,650
*UPDATED* Home Energy Loan Program (HELP)
Through the Home Energy Loan Program (HELP), Toronto homeowners can borrow up to $125,000 to cover the cost of home energy improvements, such as:
- Insulation: basement/attic/exterior wall
- Air sealing (e.g. weather stripping or caulking)
- Air-source heat pumps
- Window / door replacements
- Geothermal systems
- High-efficiency water heaters
- High-efficiency furnaces / boilers / air conditioners
- Tankless water heaters
- Drain-water heat recovery systems
- Toilet replacements
- Solar hot water systems
- Rooftop solar PV panels
- Electric vehicle charging stations (Level 2)
- Battery storage
For a limited time, zero-percent interest rates and terms of up to 20 years¹ of amortization on qualifying measures.
HELP makes it easy and affordable for homeowners to pay for home improvements over time and access rebates offered by utility companies and the Federal government. Once funding is approved, homeowners can hire the contractor of their choice and complete their renovations.
Home Energy Loan Program Incentives
Homeowners who have been approved to participate in the City’s Home Energy Loan Program may also apply to receive the following incentives:
|Rooftop Solar PV||$1,000|
|Air-source Heat Pumps – mini/multi-split (up to 2 indoor units)||$1,250|
|Air-source Heat Pumps – centrally-ducted or mini/multi-split (min 3 indoor units)||$2,000|
|Air-source Heat Pumps – cold-climate-rated central or mini-split (min 3 indoor units)||$2,500|
|Deep Retrofit* – must achieve at least 80 per cent reduction in the home’s post-renovation EnerGuide rating||$10,000|
*The Deep Retrofit Incentive cannot be combined with the other HELP Incentives.
These incentives are available for a limited time and are subject to terms and conditions. Incentives will end when the funding allocation limit has been reached. Homeowners may also be eligible for the Canada Greener Homes Grant .
The Renovate Lanark Program offers one-time assistance of up to $10,000 per household for eligible homeowners to assist in financing major home repairs and/or accessibility renovations.
Up to $10,000
Who is eligible
Low income households (less than $70,000); house must be sole residence valued at less than
$354,442; maximum asset value $200,000.
When to apply
Applications will be accepted starting April 1st, 2022 (any applications received before April 1st, 2022 will be returned to the applicant); the program is ongoing until available funds are depleted.
Genworth Energy Efficient Housing Program
This program offers a refund of 25% of the mortgage insurance premium for borrowers purchasing an energy-efficient home or making energy-saving renovations.
Standard Premium Rate Chart
|LTV Ratio||Premium Rate||Top-Up Premium|
|Up to 65%||0.60%||0.60%|
|65.01% – 75%||1.70%||5.90%|
|75.01% – 80%||2.40%||6.05%|
|80.01% – 85%||2.80%||6.20%|
|85.01% – 90%||3.10%||6.25%|
|90.01% – 95%||4.00%||6.30%|
Hydro One First Nations Conservation Program
Find out if you qualify for free energy-efficient upgrades to help save energy and make your home more comfortable. This help is offered at no cost to you.
To qualify for the program:
- You must be a First Nations person living in a participating First Nations community
- You must be a primary or secondary account holder or live in band-owned housing
- If you own your home, it must be your primary residence
- If you rent your home, you must have the consent of the building owner/manager
Free upgrades might include:
- ENERGY STAR® certified LED bulbs
- Smart power bars
- Low-flow showerheads
- ENERGY STAR® certified appliances
- Faucet aerators
- Attic and basement insulation
- Programmable thermostats
- Block heater timers
- Hot water tank wrap and pipe insulation
ENBRIDGE Home Efficiency Rebate Offering
The Home Efficiency Rebate can help you offset the cost of making energy-efficient home improvements. Before you start renovations, you must book a home energy assessment with a Registered Energy Advisor. Your Energy Advisor will walk you through all the rebates for which your home is eligible.
Complete at least two upgrades to qualify for rebates
Initial and follow-up visits: Get $600 back‡
The final rebate cheque will include a $600 reimbursement to offset the cost of both the initial and follow-up energy assessments.
Insulation & air sealing
Exterior wall insulation: Get up to $3,000 back
- $1,000: Add at least R-3.8 to 100% of building to achieve a minimum of R-12.
- $1,750: Add at least R-9 to 100% of building to achieve a minimum of R-12.
- $3,000: Add at least R-20 to 100% of building.
Rebates are pro-rated based on the percentage of total wall area upgraded—a minimum of 20% must be upgraded. Homes with less than 2×4 structure are exempt from R12 minimum with photo documentation of wall structure.
Attic insulation: Get up to $750 back
Up to $750: Increase attic insulation from R-35 or less to at least R-60.
Up to $650: Increase insulation to a cathedral/flat roof by at least R-14.
Rebates are pro-rated based on the percentage of total ceiling area upgraded—a minimum of 20 percent must be upgraded. If both attic and cathedral/flat roof are upgraded, rebates will remain capped at $750. Those who completed their initial energy assessment as of June 3, 2021 are eligible for $750.
Basement insulation: Get up to $1,250 back
- $750: For adding at least R-12 to 100% of basement wall.
- $1,250: For adding at least R-23 to 100% of basement wall.
Crawl Space Wall:
- $500: For adding at least R-12 to 100% of crawl space wall.
- $1,000: For adding at least R-23 to 100% of crawl space wall.
Floor Above Crawl Space:
- $1,000: For adding at least R-32 to 100% of floor above crawl space.
Receive a $500 bonus if 100 percent basement insulation is achieved.
Rebates are pro-rated based on the percentage of total wall area upgraded—a minimum of 20% must be upgraded. If insulating 100% of basement, only a 5% minimum of total wall area is required. Minimum R8 is required for existing insulation. Does not include walls between individual units. Semi-detached houses will receive 75% of the amounts shown. If both a basement and crawl space are upgraded, rebates will remain capped at $1,250 based on the total combined wall area of basement and crawl space. Can qualify for either crawl space or floor above crawl space rebate. Foundation exterior walls include pony wall, basement walls and crawlspace exterior walls but not floor above crawlspace.
Air sealing: Get up to $150 back
- $100: Achieve the base target determined during your home energy assessment.
- $150: Achieve 10% or more above the base target determined during your home energy assessment.
SaveOn/Toronto Hydro Home Assistance Program
What free upgrades are available through the program?
Depending on eligibility and the existing equipment within your home, you may receive:
- ENERGY STAR®-certified LED light bulbs
- High-efficiency showerheads (standard and handheld)*
- Faucet aerators (kitchen and bathroom)*
- Drying line for clothes
- Energy-efficient refrigerator
- Window air conditioner
- Smart power strip
- Additional attic or basement insulation**
- Weatherstripping around doors and windows**
- Smart thermostat(s)**
*for homes with electric hot water heating
**for homes heated by electricity
Saving energy is simple with the Energy Affordability Program.
Who is eligible?
People who live in Ontario (including those living in grid-connected First Nations communities) and are responsible for paying their monthly electricity bill as a homeowner or as a renter may qualify for this program. The type of support provided will depend on your household income level from the previous year and how many people live in your home, or on your receipt of a qualifying government or energy-support benefit. Residents of social housing may also be eligible. Depending on your situation, you may receive different energy-saving products and services, but all of the expert advice and energy-efficiency upgrades are completely free of charge.
Home Winterproofing Program
The Home Winterproofing Program can help you lower your natural gas bill and make your home more comfortable. If your home and household income levels qualify, you’ll get free insulation, draft proofing and a smart thermostat to reduce energy costs up to 30%.
Home comfort, at no cost to you: What’s included
- A free home energy assessment by a trusted delivery agent.
- Free energy-efficient upgrades, including insulation, draft proofing and a smart thermostat.
- Quick, professional installation by our qualified contractors.
These free upgrades can help to reduce energy costs:
- Wall, attic or basement insulation: Proper insulation can eliminate drafts, control moisture and minimize outside noise.
- Draft proofing: We’ll seal air leaks, so the air you’re paying to heat doesn’t escape through the cracks.
- Smart thermostat: A smart thermostat adjusts automatically to keep you comfortable without wasting energy.
Hi-rise Retrofit Improvement Support (Hi-RIS) Program
- 5-year term interest rate 2.05%
- 10-year term interest rate 3.54%
- 15-year term interest rate 4.74%
- 20-year term interest rate 5.26%
The loan will be repaid in instalments on the building owner’s property tax bill.